27.12.11

Revision

I just read the review of a novel that took its author more than twenty years to create.  The book received a wow of a review, which made me feel better since I first had the idea for my novel Selkie Song more than fifteen years ago. 

Selkie has undergone dozens of revisions over the years, some of the deepest innitiated by writers' groups or workshops I've attended.  I am in the process now of editing the novel to send to an independent press.  Inspired by the feedback at the most recent meeting of my current writers' group, Scribbling Women, I am looking at every word, every sentence, every paragraph and chapter through fresh eyes.  

One of my sister writers asked me to contemplate how I would tell the story of sixteen-year-old Ben Corbin and Eloyn, the seal woman he discovers and saves, if I were writing it for the first time now.  Ben is so different already from the character as I originally imagined him, I resisted my group member's suggestion at first.  Now I feel Ben's story opening up in a new way, and I am endlessly grateful.  

Will keep you posted on the journey of Selkie Song as it unfolds.  Wishing all of you a very Happy New Year!