2.12.11

Partying with Writers!

In How to Become a Famous Writer Before You're Dead, Ariel Gore offers some amusing and useful thoughts on the successful launch party for a book.  Instead of a stuffy event, make the launch a real celebration with food, fun and a friendly atmosphere.  Last night the celebration of the publication of Love is the Thread  included plenty of food and fun to go around, with old friends and new rounding out the crowd.

Pushcart Prize nominated poet Sheri Wright and I played a spirited hand of Rock, Paper, Scissors for the right to be the first to take the stage at the Bard's Town, 1801 Bardstown Road.  While the crowd enjoyed the locally owned eatery's witty menu, clever descriptions and food, I suppose it should come as no surprise that, as writers, Sheri and I both went for "paper" first!  Sheri won the tie breaker and opened the evening with a selection of her insightful, incisive poetry.  (I was happy to leave with a signed copy of one of her books, Contains Scenes of Indigenous Nudity tucked under my arm.)

Writers aren't rock stars, as Sheri herself has said, but I loved sharing excerpts from my newly published book.  The stage lights dazzled me almost as much as the sounds of laughter from the audience during the funny moments in one chapter, and the not-so-muffled sobs during "The Ebony Needles."  Every writer dreams of moving readers.  Thanks to everyone who came out on a chilly December evening to celebrate the launch my first book into the world!