9.3.11

Taxes

For the first time ever, this year I sorted out my taxes as best I could, then handed over the paperwork to an accountant. She's a lovely person, recommended by two different people I know, one of them another writer.

Only when we sat down with spreadsheets, last year's return and my W2s did I realize that the grant money I received last year is income earned for, at least because of, my novel Judith. It came out to about a third of my income for the year, maybe more.

Because I wrote a big chunk of fiction, though it isn't complete yet. Still have to do the research trip. Still, as the accountant said, "You need to frame a copy of that W2!"

I went into the meeting knowing that this kind of fact and number based work is vital to my life as a writer, ghostwriter and editor. I never expected to weep tears of joy in the middle of all the grunt work!