31.3.11

Judith

I leave Monday morning for my research trip to UK. My research questions spill over onto a seventeenth page, all single spaced and categorized, from Architecture and Agriculture to Wine and Weaponry. Many of the questions are actually variations on a topic that appears in dozens of places throughout the novel. (I included a chapter by chapter reference so integrating the research will be easier in the months after my return. That's the plan, anyway.)

I've also searched the library's online catalog so there's no time wasted on day one of my trip. As I always told my students, in the two decades when I taught college, "Don't be too task oriented." I'll find this original layer of texts . . . then browse the shelves in that area. Some of my most successful and enjoyable research discoveries all began that way, with a book or books I just happened to discover while I browsed the shelves.

That's how I've also often discovered authors I would never have read otherwise, in that different kind of browsing in bookstores.

Can't wait to get started. Keep your eyes on this space for details as the story behind the story (the research in support of the novel Judith) unfolds.