3.10.11

Mental health and sick days

A good friend of mine who has a daughter in her early teens allows her child one or two "mental health days" per school year.  She allows herself a few of those herself, as well.  Both she and the daughter always return to their daily routine refreshed and better prepared.

I've been needing a mental health day for quite a while, and not taking it.  Today my mind and body rebelled and staked their claim.  I woke up with a fever and a scratchy throat.

I sat down in front of the computer anyway.  (Obviously I'm here again.)  I have gone back and forth off and on all day.  A little time at the keyboard, with mixed or minimal results.  A little time with a cup of hot tea.  (Ginseng and peppermint.  Ginger and peppermint.  Green tea with goji berry.)  Another stint at the keyboard.  A brief lie down, until my dog Gizmo jumped on the bed and licked my chin. 

Finally I succumbed (or am succumbing) to the need for a mental if not a physical health day.  I'm shutting down the computer, making another cup of tea and taking it to bed with me.  This time I'm pulling the covers over my head so Giz can't kiss me.

Tomorrow we'll find out what has blossomed from this day in the dark, the quiet.  Greater health all around, I hope, physical, mental and creative.