25.9.11

Slowing down (at least for the day)

At the most recent meeting of my writers group, I shared one of the first chapters that is not in the heroine's point of view.  Instead, the reader spends some time viewing the world from the perspective of Holofernes, the Assyrian general and Judith's antagonist.

The group made some strong suggestions to amp up the sense of what I'll call the general's "evil quotient."  While that does not materially change the manuscript, I need to spend some time today in his head and heart.  Afterward, I always feel like I need to take a shower. 

It also requires that I slow down, sit quietly with paper and pen to hand, and jot down what Holofernes sees, believes, thinks and (ick) feels.  I've actually done something I don't usually do today:  put off my writing time by writing emails, washing dishes, etc.  But the novel will be all the better for the progression of my sister writers' feedback, the consult with my character (little though I like him) and the eventual revision.