28.9.11

Reading and Knitting

When my friend Kristine gathered her friends at the Delaware Beach, she always brought plenty of craft items for us to play with.  Markers and paper, beads and cord or wire.  At the end of each visit, we often had hand made art that needed careful removing from the walls.  And those who knitted brought their yarn, needles, knitting bags.

Until I joined Those Who Knitted, I brought the tools of my particular craft:  paper, pens and works in progress.  While the knitters knitted, seated on the colorful sofa or sprawled on the floor, I read a chapter or two aloud to them.  Kristine and the rest offered, not just feedback, but response.  When my voice failed, a spontaneous moan when I had to finish reading for the day filled me with joy.

We all love for our work to be loved, whether the work is a story or a just-completed scarf.