19.4.11

Research and Revision

Four of Judith's forty-four chapters revised to date. Incorporating the research involves reading what exists and noticing the sometimes hundreds of tiny moments per page that could come into sharper focus. Some shifts or additions are subtle, like changing the description of one character's coarse, difficult hair from a comparison with "dill" to "anise," the name used for the herb at the time.

Other revisions require threads of change that will weave through the entire novel. Every time Judith or anyone else offers a prayer, for example, I need to consider not only the words used but the feeling beneath the words. Every change brings me closer to the spirit of my character.

I resisted the thought of writing an historical novel for years because of all the research involved. Now I delight in the process. Can't wait to share her story with the world.