14.2.11

Children and Memory

I never expected to write memoir, but that's a good bit of what I now do. Not only is my memoir Love is the Thread on its way to publication, I also publish the zine Memory Stick. With Issue 7 in the works, I've got memories on the mind today.

Memory Stick includes personal narratives, family narratives and ancestral stories. I started the zine more than a year ago around the time I hit menopause. (Or it hit me.) Friends assure me that the colander-like holes in my memory will mend once my body chemistry stabilizes. In the meantime, I want not only to recall stories from all the layers of my past, personal and familial, I realized how important it is for me to share those tales with others.

Each issue centers on a theme. The upcoming Memory Stick includes stories about the children in my life, from nephews and nieces to some little people I worked with at the kindergarden center where I worked many years ago, and one or two who, despite the decades of difference in our ages, I count as friends.

Many years ago when he was four, my eldest nephew told me, "You're a tall child with car keys." (Tall? Well, to a four year old, I suppose so!) Issue 7 celebrates the child in all of us.